IPfilter changes?

Daniel Lang dl at leo.org
Tue Apr 22 06:11:36 PDT 2003

Hi Again,

Daniel Lang wrote on Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 11:34:22AM +0200:
[..]
> > NEW > pass out quick proto tcp from any to any flags S keep state keep frags
> Ok. I will try to change this rule and see, if it helps.
> YES. If I put this rule in front of the rule above, I immediately
> get a connection.
>
> What does that mean? The original rule of mine should be more general,
> i.e. include the situation with the SYN flag set. But it doesn't?
>
> Using this rule is a better workaround than to allow all hosts
> explicitly, but it still doesn't help me with UDP I guess.

Updated situation. It ceased working! I just checked again
without changing everything and the rule still in place.
But it no longer works, the packets are again blocked, as I can
see in ipfilters log.

Now I get the impression, that there is maybe a limit for the state
tables for each "keep state" rule, and if that is hit, no more states
can be added.

I'll make a few tests...

Ok, I've added another such rule, similar but with a specific source
ip instead of any, to get it added.

It worked for a few times, then suddenly the packets are beeing blocked
again, just after a few hits. Heres the ipfstat -hoi output:
[..]
48 pass out quick proto tcp from 131.159.72.12/32 to any flags S/FSRPAU keep state keep frags
2706 pass out quick proto tcp from any to any flags S/FSRPAU keep state keep frags
1789457 pass out quick proto tcp/udp from any to any keep state keep frags
[..]

Other things I could find out:

If the ruleset has changed and is reloaded
(ipf -Fa -f /file/with/rules) it works again for a while.

Even without the "flags S" rule but with the original
tcp/udp rule.

Flushing the state stable (small): ipf -Fs
did help, but not always. I've issued this a couple
of times, and suddenly it worked again.

Flushing all states: ipf -FS helped a lot. It works much longer
than just flushing incomplete states.
However, ipfstat -s always shows:
[..]
        0 no memory
[..]

So it's not like the states don't get added because of that....

Well, a crontab entry with ipf -FS every hour would not be
a very clean solution. Any more hints, how to debug this further
appreciated.

Thanks,
   Daniel
--
IRCnet: Mr-Spock                 - Work is for people, who don't surf -
 Daniel Lang * dl at leo.org * +49 89 289 18532 * http://www.leo.org/~dl/