BIND-8/9 interface bug? Or is it FreeBSD?

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Fri Apr 18 23:48:46 PDT 2003

        The secondary is configured literally identical to the
        primary, except that the IPs have changed and _all_ of
        the zones are type slave.

        I see the exact same problem on the secondary (again,
        outgoing traffic on the public interface with an IP of
        the private), except that the src & dst IPs apply to
        the private IP on the secondary and the WAN IP of the
        primary, respectively.  Sorry if that's confusing.  :-)

        Thank you for your below example -- I didn't consider that
        BIND would do something that ""silly"" (note quotes), but
        now it makes sense.

        I believe removing the query-source option could in fact
        solve the problem, but there is a specific reason for it's
        existance -- we rely on the MAPS RBL+ service for SBL lookups,
        which are DNS based.  Permission to the RBL+ service is based
        on the IP doing the query.  Since the nameserver IPs are
        IP aliases, if I do not specify this, the queries come from
        the first IP in the list shown in ifconfig -a.

        If there's a workaround for this, I'd love to hear it.  :-)

| Making life hard for others since 1977.                            |