BIND-8/9 interface bug? Or is it FreeBSD?

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Fri Apr 18 16:42:01 PDT 2003

        Under what circumstances would the primary request data from
        the secondary on it's _public_ IP?  My query-source directive
        is set to the public IP, and this IP should (according to BIND
        documentation) be used by both TCP and UDP queries (port #,
        however, cannot be guaranteed).

        I have no forwarders configured, and using topology makes no
        difference.

        The problem at hand does not seem to be zone transfer related,
        but I cannot verify this; I'm going off the fact that the
        transfer-source directives are working fine (both functionally
        and in the logs).

        Another user here on the list recommended I enable query
        logging (I hope it doesn't require a rebuild; this is stock
        8.3.4 taken from src) -- I'll give that a shot and see if
        there's anything odd appearing there.

        I don't even understand on a technical level how BIND is able
        to send outgoing UDP packets from a src address that isn't even
        bound to the interface in question.

        I'm frustrated that there doesn't seem to be a workaround that I
        know of.  Another administrator recommended using a "stub" zone,
        but I have no experience with such, and the DNS/BIND book does
        not cover them in very verbose detail...

| Making life hard for others since 1977.                            |