Userland PPP/PPTP tunneling problem

Sten Daniel Sørsdal sten.daniel.sorsdal at wan.no
Thu Apr 17 12:49:16 PDT 2003

> At 12:18 PM 4/17/2003, Sten Daniel Sørsdal wrote:
>
> >This is a known issue with the Microsoft PPTP client. It
> adds the natural
> >netmask and not the specified one.
>
> I don't understand. Why is /24 more "natural" than /16?

It's how the entire IP block is arranged I assume. I don't know
exactly what benefits there are from such a arrangement.

> >In case of 192.168.x.x/16 that is a
> >255.255.255.0 netmask and with for example 80.80.80.0/24 is
> 80.0.0.0/8.
>
> Even more confusion. How does it come up with that?

IP Baggage from times before subnet masks?

> >The only known workarounds AFAIK are requiring the client to
> default route
> >Through the tunnel
>
> Which causes slowdowns and a huge extra drain on the office's
> Internet feed

Yes, for most configurations this is true.

> >- or - setup a (persistent?) route on the windows box.
>
> I suppose we could try a script.
>
> >Say if client gets 192.168.1.2 when client connects, you
> need to manually
> >Enter: route -p add 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.0.0 192.168.1.2
> >On the windows client before connecting.
>
> Is there a way to fire off a script automatically after connecting?

Persistent routes are routes that are reinstalled during bootup.
It will just mark them inactive until needed and deactive when no longer needed.
It's a setup that works. '-p' is the persistent flag.

> >Microsoft doesnt seem to be interested in fixing this
> problem as the problem
> >persist even on Windows XP and has been known since Windows 98(??).
>
> Figures.
>
> --Brett

- Sten