Patch updates

Wes Peters wes at softweyr.com
Wed Apr 2 21:51:19 PST 2003

On Wednesday 02 April 2003 11:53, Michael DeMan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We have a couple of boxes overlooked for patches since mid-summer.
>
> We cvsup all our boxes.
>
> Is it possible to do a make buildworld / make installworld and restart
> appropriate services to pick up latest security patches?
>
> What could go wrong with this?  Lots of things?
>
> Our cvsup is release specific, RELENG_4_6, RELENG_4_7, etc, so in
> theory things should run as-always, except sendmail and a few other
> goodies will have updated binaries?

Watch the cvsup output to see what changed.  Watch for system header file
changes, those can be pretty far-reaching.  If the kernel doesn't change,
you're pretty safe with buildworld, installworld, and selectively
restarting any long-lived daemons that changed.

--

        Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                               wes at softweyr.com