FreeBSD 5.0 dual-stack server

Jeff W. Boote boote at internet2.edu
Tue Apr 1 08:29:32 PST 2003

Hajimu UMEMOTO wrote:
> boote> This seems to contradict the recommendation in RFC 3493 (which I realize
> boote> is only informational)... I've been doing a web search to try and find
> boote> some kind of record for the rational used for making this default to
> boote> v6only. I haven't found anything substantial yet. Does anyone on this
> boote> list know why? (I'm guessing there must be a good reason - and if so, I
> boote> want to make sure I'm dealing with those issues in my applications.)
>
> Yes, this breakage against RFC2553/3493 is intentional.  Please refer:
>
>         draft-cmetz-v6ops-v4mapped-api-harmful-00.txt

Thanks!

So... This would mean an application that wanted to be address
independent would have to create a socket for every single wildcard
sockaddr returned from getaddrinfo. And then use select/accept instead
of just accept. That is kind of ugly... But, I guess it does make sense
in the new world of multiple addresses and address families per host.

jeff