uaudio: pulseaudio locks up system

Hans Petter Selasky hps at selasky.org
Sun Feb 14 10:51:56 UTC 2021

On 2/14/21 9:55 AM, Stefan Ehmann wrote:
> FreeBSD locks up when my USB audio interface is connected and accessed via
> pulseudio.
>
> The interface is connected via USB hub.
> Symptoms: First USB mouse (on same hub) stops working. System becomes
> increasingly unresponsive until it totally locks up.
>
> I can reproduce the problem by simply running pactl list
>
> If I reboot immediately, shutdown also hangs. Kernel debugger shows this
> suspicious trace (transcribed by hand):
>
> __mtx_lock_sleep()
> uaudio_chan_play_callback()
> usbd_callback_wrapper()
> usb_command_wrapper()
> usb_callback_proc()
> usb_process()

Hi,

It might be a lock order reversal or something like that, although
witness should warn about that!

Can you have a look in /var/log/messages* and see if you can find the
complete message there?

Secondly, pulseaudio has several patches for FreeBSD which were just
recently upstreamed. Can you check if these patches are present:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pulseaudio/pulseaudio/-/merge_requests/277

--HPS