virtual_oss channels

Hans Petter Selasky hps at selasky.org
Fri Sep 28 12:05:16 UTC 2018

On 9/28/18 1:53 PM, Goran Mekić wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm running virtual_oss for years now and it works perfectly. My current
> command is:
> virtual_oss -T /dev/sndstat -S -i 8 -C 18 -c 18 -r 48000 -b 32 -s 708 -f /dev/dsp1 -c 2 -d dsp -c 18 -d vdsp.jack -t vdsp.ctl -M i,0,8,0,0,0 -M i,0,9,0,0,0 -M i,6,8,0,0,0 -M i,6,9,0,0,0
>
> What it does is creates two DSP devices: /dev/dsp and /dev/vdsp.jack.
> First one has 2 channels for input and output, second one 18, as that's
> how many channels audio interface has. I was wondering if it's possible
> to use channels other than first two for /dev/dsp? In my case, it would
> be really neat if I could use channels 8 and 9 (first channel being 0)
> as inputs for /dev/dsp. Is it possible? Thanx!

Hi Goran,

The default mapping is 0 0 1 1 2 2 3 3 and so on.

By adding "-m 8,8,9,9" in front of "-d dsp", channel 8 and 9 will be the
default.

BTW: I've been working on some buffering updates in a yet un-released
version of virtual_oss. Maybe you want to check it out and see if you
find any bugs :-) Or if it works better or worse. Basically the changes
are about using ring-buffers instead of block buffers and allow the -s
argument to be in milliseconds, like "16.0ms" instead of number of samples.

https://github.com/hselasky/virtual_oss

make HAVE_CUSE=YES all install

--HPS