FreeBSD USB audio

Hans Petter Selasky hps at selasky.org
Thu Feb 16 08:15:24 UTC 2017

Hi,

On 02/16/17 08:20, Eugene M. Zheganin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got new PC in my new office which lacks the PCI slot, so I guess this
> is the end for my old SB Audigy one snd_emu10kx card. So, since I am
> totally unhappy with the snd_hda(4) sound I'm considering buying
> something USB external (since, unfortunately, there's no support for
> decent sound cards in FreeBSD). So my question is
>
> - is the snd_uaudio(4) driver a generic one ? Do I just plug some USB
> external audio into the host USB port and expect it to work ? Are there
> some tricks ?

Some devices have a button to switch to USB.org audio protocols.

> - do I have to explicitely find for intended sound card that it supports
> the USB Audio standard, or may be do they all support it out-of-the box
> ?

No, the will work out of the box.

> - does someone have an experience with Creative Soundblaster external
> USB cards, since I'm a fan of their products ? Do they work with
> snd_uaudio(4) under FreeBSD ?

No, but if you want something very decent this one works with FreeBSD:

http://www.music-group.com/Categories/Behringer/Mixers/Digital-Mixers/X32-RACK/p/P0AWN

And supports 32/64 channels (configurable) IN/OUT using USB high-speed.

--HPS