ITE Technologies, Inc. DVB-T TV Stick [success report]

Juergen Lock nox at jelal.kn-bremen.de
Sun Oct 6 18:37:16 UTC 2013

On Sun, Oct 06, 2013 at 05:42:41PM +0200, Milan Obuch wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Sep 2013 22:06:42 +0200
> Juergen Lock <nox at jelal.kn-bremen.de> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Sep 09, 2013 at 09:30:44AM +0200, Milan Obuch wrote:

> [ snip ]

> > > Yes it is dual tuner, which was one reason I got this one insted of
> > > some cheaper single tuner. I have not yet cable comfortably
> > > available so I can not do much tests, but I will try some time
> > > later. How will such corruption manifest itself? I saw on some
> > > DVB-T STB some artifacts, square areas affected when signal was
> > > weaker or disturbed, but could this be somehow distinguished?
> > >
> > Yes that's what it looks like, you can watch the uncorrected error
> > count via vdr-plugin-femon (UNC) provided the tuner driver reads
> > out that info, if it does and it's non-zero artefacts are caused
> > by a too weak/corrupted signal.  There also is the BER value that
> > some more drivers read out, that can be nonzero and yet the errors
> > may be correctable, but if it's constantly zero you can assume
> > video corruptions aren't caused by the antenna signal.
> >

> I am trying to test dual channel receiving, I did not find good
> description how I should configure second receiver...

vdr should pick up the second tuner automagically so there's no
need to configure it explicitly.

> when I changed IP
> in vdr_flags from 127.0.0.1 to real one, it works locally but trying to
> run vdr-sxfe on another box does not work, I got just kernel crash and
> reboot.

 Whoops!  I suppose you need to collect a backtrace of that panic...

>  I was under impression vdr-sxfe run with argument
> xvdr://IP.of.the.server should just work, which is not the case.

 You may need to allow you subnet in:

	/usr/local/etc/vdr/plugins/xineliboutput/allowed_hosts.conf

>  How
> should I test streamdev plugin?

 Make sure streamdev is enabled in vdr_flags, then just point some
player like vlc at one of the streamdev channels, like:

	vlc http://127.1:3000/1

 (the last 1 there is the channel number.)

 You can also point a browser at:

	http://127.1:3000/

to get a channel list.

 If you want to test the second tuner make sure the channel is on another
mux than the one you're watching in vdr-sxfe or both will be received
by only one tuner...

 Oh and there can only be one channel and osd shown by vdr-sxfe, even
if you connect more than one vdr-sxfe instances over the network, that's
why I suggested streamdev for testing the second tuner.

>  I would expect it should be configured
> this plugin in vdr_flags...

 Yep.

>  Also, what about femon plugin? How should
> it be used?

 It shuold put an entry in the vdr osd main menu, just select that.
BER and UNC (if available) readings for the currently playing channel
will be shown in the top display.

> On https://wiki.freebsd.org/VDR, there is some menu mentioned. When I
> use vdr-sxfe, there is no menu. Where is menu mentioned on wiki located
> and how could it be accessed?

 If you use the default /usr/local/etc/vdr/remote.conf installed
by the vdr-plugin-xineliboutput port (you can look at that file!)
then the menu is on the tab and insert keys in the vdr-sxfe (or
softhddevice) osd.

>  This is not clear at all from what's
> written there...

 Hmm...

> Otherwise, it looks this device works well for usual watching, I need
> to find how to do some recording (not only pressing R key in vdr-sxfe)
> and how to play recorded program back.

 You can either check the epg via the osd (on screen display, Menu
-> Schedule, or Menu -> Program guide if you enabled the extrecmenu
plugin) in vdr-sxfe and hit Red (F4) to record the selected show,
or you can use the live web plugin if you enabled that, by pointing
a browser at:

	http://127.1:8008/

 (Default login/pw is admin/live as mentioned on the wiki.)

> Regards,
> Milan

 HTH, :)
	Juergen