Waiting for sound system to respond

John Caldwell caldwelljohn44 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 23 18:40:43 UTC 2013

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com>

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 19:13:55 +0100, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com> wrote:
> Rebuild gnome-settings-daemon and disable pulseaudio. Theoretically it's possible to disable pulseaudio, but this doesn't work for all versions as expected.

Sorry for my broken English.

By theory it's possible to disable an installed pulseaudio.

But it's better to build gnome-settings-daemon with pulseaudio disabled.

;)

Hi Ralf, thanks a lot for your warm help.  I already rebuilt all the following including gnome-settings-daemon, after doing "make config" on each of them making sure any pulseaudio is unchecked.  But when trying to pkg_delete pulseaudio it still said the same dependency on them so I still can't pkg_delete pulseaudio.

gnome2
gnome-appletes
gnome-control-center
gnome-media
gnome-session
gnome-settings-daemon
deskbar-applet

May I know your FreeBSD version and do you use gnome2 or what desktop you use?  I feel it has becomes harder to use oss etc with newer versions of FreeBSD.  If you also use FreeBSD 9.1 and can run without pulseaudio that would be very inspirational to me!