Waiting for sound system to respond

John Caldwell caldwelljohn44 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 23 17:59:29 UTC 2013

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com>

Did you test it without pulseaudio? I'm a FreeBSD novice, but experienced with audio on Linux and pulseaudio is known to cause trouble like this.

I'm sorry I'm new to FreeBSD desktop but how do I disable pulseaudio?  I tried the following:

1. tried to pkg_delete pulseaudio but it said a few packaged depends on it.  Then I went through each of these packages, did "make config" to make sure any pulseaudio option is unchecked, then make; make deinstall; make reinstall it.  These packages include:

gnome2
gnome-appletes
gnome-control-center
gnome-media
gnome-session
gnome-settings-daemon
deskbar-applet
etc

pulseaudio still can't be deleted after that.  I rebooted anyway but didn't notice any difference regarding the problem.

By the way, from the very beginning up to now, the audio largely functions all the time, for example, I can watch some youtube videos (non-flash ones) with perfect sound, and I can control its volume by the volume control under the youtube video.  I just can't control volume using the hardware buttons and the controls offered by the gnome desktop utilities.

2. I tried to replace alsa with oss, but now alsa is built into the kernel so when trying to load oss it says:

kernel: osscore: Open Sound System conflicts with FreeBSD driver
kernel: osscore: Please remove sound(4) from kernel or unload it

Someone recommended recompling kernel in order to use oss, but how do you deal with security update?  Right now I only put "freebsd-update fetch install" in cron job.  I'm not sure how to do that with custom kernel.