Timidity++ as MIDI server (à la Linux)

Conrad J. Sabatier conrads at cox.net
Sun Sep 18 22:42:17 UTC 2011

Would anyone have any idea if it would be possible to somehow tweak the
Timidity++ port to provide functionality similar to that under Linux,
where Timidity can be launched as a daemon, thereby providing MIDI
"ports"/emulation/functionality within apps such as Rosegarden?

Is this even technically feasible under FreeBSD, or are the differences
between ALSA and our sound subsystem just too great?  I've worked with
Rosegarden under Ubuntu, and having this functionality greatly enhances
the program's usability.  Very tedious to have to continuously export
one's work-in-progress to a MIDI file and play it externally, not to
mention the lack of a number of user-configurable MIDI parameters
(such as channel assignment, etc.) within Rosegarden.

Thanks for any info.

--
Conrad J. Sabatier
conrads at cox.net