FreeBSD and controlling an alarm via relay

Achilleas Mantzios achill at matrix.gatewaynet.com
Tue Jul 5 10:03:01 UTC 2011

Στις Tuesday 05 July 2011 11:41:38 ο/η Bernt Hansson έγραψε:
> 2011-07-04 12:39, Achilleas Mantzios skrev:
> > Hello, sorry for the cross-post but i believe this question might seat in both lists.
> > I am the guy who had the done the old 1.23.3 zoneminder port some years ago, and i am thinking of installing/testing
> > the new 1.24.4 port, submitted by bsam at FreeBSD.org.
> > Besides the basic functions, i am thinking of re-using some old techniques by which i controlled
> > the home alarm via a NC/NO circuit (basically it was an enhanced door contact),
> > driven by an old zyXel modem,  which in turn was driven by a small perl program driving the com port, and
> > which was called by a deamon reading zoneminder shared memory info directly.
> > That way i could trigger the alarm system getting into alarm state, whenever zoneminder detected motion,
> > in a fully controlled and programmatic way.
>
> Is this what you you are looking for
>
> http://www.telldus.se/products/tellstick

Basically i am thinking of something like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Eight-Channel-Relay-Board-RS232-Serial-Controlled-/110710829016?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item19c6e12fd8
a USB controlled 8-channel relay board, rs232 serial controlled

What would be my chances with this on FreeBSD 8.2?

--
Achilleas Mantzios