how do I work out what sound modules I need?

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 01:38:01 UTC 2011

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 7:03 PM, Julian Elischer <julian at freebsd.org> wrote:

> I inherrited a PC..
> pciconf -lv doesn't show any audio devices.
> but there are connectors on the back and front.
>
> how do I work out what audio device is connected to the devices?
>
> the video board seems to also have an audio function but no connectors..
> :-/
>
> Julian

The connectors on the case may not be connected to the main board . This
may be understood by removing case and inspecting connection points
visually .

If there are connections to the main board , but they are not recognized by
pciconf , it means that they are not conforming to PCI definitions ( main
board may be an old model , having ISA ports ) .

If you know producer and model of the main board , its producer web site
may contain main board definition .
If such a definition does not exist in the producer site , searching
internet may bring archived pages .

If the main board is an old model , trying previous FreeBSD releases ( 7.x
, 6.x , 5.x , ... ) may reveal what is on it , because it is very likely
that previous FreeBSD releases will be able to identify their ports .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk