USB microphone problems

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Mon Apr 18 10:31:46 UTC 2011

Hi,

Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
 > On Sunday 17 April 2011 17:15:48 Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > There is still the problem that the Logitech cameras seem
 > > to need a reset after plugging in.  Furthermore I can't
 > > change the mic level with mixer(8).  Both of these problems
 > > do not exist with the Philips web...
 >
 > I'm not sure if recording devices have a software volume control? Else we
 > could easily add that.

Well, the Philips SPC 900 NC has one.  After pluggin in, it
looks like this:

$ mixer -f /dev/mixer1
Mixer vol      is currently set to  75:75
Mixer pcm      is currently set to  75:75
Mixer mic      is currently set to   0:0

And the recoding level is zero, indeed:  I have to raise it
to about 70 to get a useful level (I'll probably create a
devd.conf entry to do that automatically in the future).

But the Logitech webcams tried so far (C210, C270, C310) do
not show the "mic" control.  Fortunately they default to a
usable level after plugging in (a little too loud, actually,
but it's acceptable).

(Just as a side note, under Windows there is a microphone
level control, so I guess it should be supported.)

It's not a "show stopper", but it would certainly be good
to be able to control the recoding volume.

Best regards
   Oliver

The easiest way to teach yourself C++ in 21 days:
http://abstrusegoose.com/249