FFmpeg to cut the video

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 20 17:02:43 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 8:08 AM, p4ddy <prdpsbhat at gmail.com> wrote:

> I m planning to use FFmpeg to cut the videos of various formats based on time
> offset.
>
> My question is: is it safe to use it in commercial service for this purpose?
> because FFmpeg has both LGPL and GPL licenses.

First off, IANAL. Consult a real lawyer before doing anything
commercial with this advice, this is 'best effort' advice.

Secondly, if you don't plan on distributing binary copies of ffmpeg,
you can use it as you see fit to edit videos.

Finally, whilst you can abide by the terms of ffmpeg, you must also
make sure that (if required) you have a license to use the codec you
are producing. For instance, whilst ffmpeg will happily output 'x264'
encoded video, 'x264' is actually an unlicensed implementation of MPEG
4 AVC that has not paid any royalties to the MPEG4-LA.

Cheers

Tom