8.1-RELEASE: snd_hda works as module only, suspend/resume leaves display off

Bruce Cran bruce at cran.org.uk
Tue Nov 16 14:44:02 UTC 2010

On Monday 15 November 2010 09:37:09 Stefan Walter wrote:

> Suspend To RAM (S3) works by using "acpiconf -s 3", and pushing the power
> button wakes the system up again. Everything seems to work, only the LCD
> monitor remains off. (There also seem to be occasional cases in which the
> keyboard doesn't work any more, but I haven't really looked at that, yet.
> Usually, the system comes back up properly.) Loading dpms(4) doesn't seem
> to make a difference. The only way to turn the display on again seems to
> be typing "shutdown -r now" blindly.

What graphics card do you have? If it's nVidia, try building the driver with
ACPI_PM enabled and running "acpiconf -s3" from X11. That boots the video chip
up on my laptop at least - though it seems some corruption occurs because I've
had some odd panics afterwards in the fs and vm subsystems, and attempting to
suspend for a second time results in the system rebooting instead.

--
Bruce Cran