Setting audio input source for Darkice using mixer: can't set vol??

Kaya Saman SamanKaya at netscape.net
Sat Jun 12 19:13:16 UTC 2010

On 06/11/2010 08:20 PM, Ian Smith wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2010, Kaya Saman wrote:
>
>   >  Ok so since no one is able to answer or help out with the below; is there any
>   >  way of taking the output of XMMS2 and digitally routing it to the input of
>   >  Darkice???
>
> mixer =rec mix and setting the level on pcm doesn't work for you?

Erm seems not to???

I got this now:

$ mixer
Mixer vol      is currently set to 100:100
Mixer pcm      is currently set to 100:100
Mixer speaker  is currently set to  75:75
Mixer mic      is currently set to   0:0
Mixer mix      is currently set to 100:100
Mixer rec      is currently set to 100:100
Recording source: mix

The volume is very low with a lot of hiss...........  actually quite
interestingly sounds like an old cassette!

>   >  I don't want to connect a whole bunch of analog cables and especially not one
>   >  from output to input as I need the output to listen but also need to get a
>   >  duplicate to be able to stream......
>   >
>   >  Is anyone able to advise me at all????
>
> Have a look at ports audio/jack and audio/xmms-jack (and friends);
> software audio routing sure beats mucking around with cables, not to
> mention avoiding loss of quality going digital ->  analogue ->  digital.
>
> Disclaimer: I haven't used jack on FreeBSD yet myself, only on Debian.
> I assume someone would have said something if it doesn't work ..

Hmm.... I might need to as it seems that the drivers internal routing
matrix might be missing something.

> cheers, Ian

Regards,

Kaya