Intel HD Audio project?

Kaya Saman SamanKaya at netscape.net
Tue Jun 1 20:13:52 UTC 2010

Hi guys,

I've just bought a new Intel Mini-ITX system board with multi channel
hi-def audio....

The system is being used as a barebones mini mainframe with no GUI but
none the less I have installed xmms2 on it as I thought it could be a
good radio station and also just for fun listening too :-)

Anyhow, each time I tried to start xmms2 I got a response of OSS not
found. I then built OSS from the ports collection and rebooted and
unfortunately I still get an error:

$ xmms2d
 INFO: ../src/xmms/log.c:49: Initialized logging system :)
23:00:07  INFO: ../src/xmms/ipc.c:795: IPC listening on
'tcp://192.168.1.120:9090'.
23:00:07  INFO: ../src/xmms/main.c:517: Using output plugin: oss
23:00:07 ERROR: ../src/xmms/output.c:978: Could not initialize output plugin
Starting XMMS2 phone home agent...

pciconf -lv gives this response:

none1 at pci0:0:27:0:    class=0x040300 card=0x50038086 chip=0x3a3e8086
rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
    device     = 'HD Audio Controller'
    class      = multimedia
    subclass   = HDA

I am guessing the none1 at the beginning means that there is no driver
in the system for it??

I did manage to find this on Google:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-multimedia/2006-September/004720.html
however it seems that the project is now closed as there is no more
source code downloadeable for the driver.

Can anyone suggest anything to get my sound device working?

Many thanks.

Kaya