Request for help with snd_hda, FreeBSD 8.0, Dell Optiplex 960

Alexander Motin mav at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jan 20 06:48:41 UTC 2010

Hi.

Richard Kuhns wrote:
> New year, new OS, new hardware. I've just installed FreeBSD 8 on my new
> Dell Optiplex 960, and overall it's very nice.
>
> The 960 has 4 audio jacks, 2 in front and 2 in the rear. I can plug the
> speaker cable into the headphone jack and hear output just fine via vlc;
> there's no sound at all with flash, and starting a VM via virtualbox
> always warns me that "some audio devices could not be opened". The
> detail ErrorId is "HostAudioNotResponding".
>
> The other 3 jacks don't do anything at all, as far as I know.

You have 2 analog PCM devices. 2 jacks will be pcm1 playback and record,
2 another - pcm2. If vlc works fine, then probably it is not a driver
problem.

--
Alexander Motin