Sound Interrupts with mplayer/snd_hda on 8-STABLE amd64

Thomas Hummel googhummel at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 10:14:55 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 10:56 AM, Alexander Motin <mav at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Some applications may control sound buffer size by themselves.

Right. However, buffering an mp3 file should work out of the box in 2010,
shouldn't it ? ;-)
But what's weird, is that mplayer, with which the problem occurs, uses
ffmpeg as a backend. But the same file played directly with ffplay (which
comes with ffmpeg) works perfectly.
However, I think ffplay uses sdl instead of oss.

Am I correct in assuming the following architecture layers :

Amarok : xine -> oss -> snd_hda
xine -> oss -> snd_hda
mplayer -> ffmpeg -> oss|sdl -> snd_hda
vlc -> oss -> snd_hda

?

Can you think of some debug options in mplayer or vlc which could help me
isolating the problem ?

Or could it be related to the SMP architecture of my system (quad core
intel) ?