FreeBSD support for modern TV tuners?

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Sat Dec 25 08:39:44 UTC 2010

Hope no one minds the slight change of subject line
as it really comes down to drivers. Then you can plop
MythTV, etc on top.

If you know of more support / work on HD, please add it :)

All the current Hauppauge US boards are here. No idea about
PAL, other than some chips include that as a bonus.
http://hauppauge.com/site/products/prods_hvr_internal.html

No idea about other manufacturers.

Here's the only FreeBSD CX88 drivers/projects I've found:
http://corona.homeunix.net/cx88wiki

I've not yet found anyone in FreeBSD land working on the
HVR-2250 / SAA7164 / NXP NGene:
http://www.tridentmicro.com/producttree/tv/pc-tv/saa/saa7164/

There's this guy under Linux, don't know about FreeBSD for it:
http://pchdtv.com/ HD-5500

Here's some Linux drivers/projects to contact/port if need be:
http://kernellabs.com/hg
http://www.steventoth.net/blog/products/hvr-2250/

Some related FreeBSD items:
http://www.selasky.org/hans_petter/video4bsd/
http://video4bsd.sourceforge.net/ Fritz Katz, frtzkatz at yahoo
http://wiki.freebsd.org/HDTV
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/8.1R/hardware.html

Lastly, would a HVR-2250 as bounty help?

> talking about 12-16TB once I convert from DVD and CD.

Yes, ZFS. If it's in budget, try to duplicate it on another box at
a friends house. Losing all that effort to one human/software error
sucks. Even a crappy powered down raidz1 in a hole would do.

For me, I need ATSC first, then ripping of YC/Composite + LR audio
from legacy (LaserDisc) sources at >= DVD quality, then QAM.

Are Hauppauge's build in MPEG2 encoders (+LR audio) of enough quality
and bitrate to equal DVD (and CD-DA)?

Would also like to play with ripping the full bandwidth raw ATSC-TS
from the air and transcoding that if the MPEG2 wasn't good.