"sonix" usb web camera driver?

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Sat Sep 5 23:20:16 UTC 2009

Hello,

I've borrowed this cheap web camera from a friend to test it with
FreeBSD.
Therer are no physcical markings (logs, text) on the camera itself, it
is simply a camera in a black housing. On each side of the camera are
three illuminating leds. The leds are controlled by a wheel (turning
control) on the usb cable itself. This control allows you to turn leds
from zero to full brightness.
The camera itself identifes like this under FreeBSD:
root at kg-work2# uname -a
FreeBSD kg-work2.kg4.no 7.2-STABLE FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE #5: Sat Aug 22 02:29:13 CEST 2009     root at kg-work2.kg4.no:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SX270  i386

root at kg-work2# usbdevs -v
Controller /dev/usb0:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000), Intel(0x0000), rev 1.00
 port 1 powered
 port 2 powered
Controller /dev/usb1:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000), Intel(0x0000), rev 1.00
 port 1 powered
 port 2 powered
Controller /dev/usb2:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000), Intel(0x0000), rev 1.00
 port 1 powered
 port 2 addr 2: full speed, power 100 mA, config 1, USB camera(0x612e), vendor 0x0c45(0x0c45), rev 1.01
Controller /dev/usb3:
addr 1: high speed, self powered, config 1, EHCI root hub(0x0000), Intel(0x0000), rev 1.00
 port 1 powered
 port 2 powered
 port 3 powered
 port 4 powered
 port 5 powered
 port 6 powered

root at kg-work2# lsusb
Bus /dev/usb2 Device /dev/ugen0: ID 0c45:612e Microdia

Searching for this usb id tells me that under Linux, the "sonixj" driver is
supposed to work for this camera. (I haven't tested this)

None of these ports regonizes the camera:
http://www.freshports.org/graphics/snx101util/
http://www.freshports.org/graphics/spcaview/
http://www.freshports.org/multimedia/linux-gspca-kmod/
http://www.freshports.org/multimedia/pwcbsd/

Does anyone know about a driver (for FreeBSD obviously) for this camera?
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen