Any Renoise interest?

Dieter freebsd at sopwith.solgatos.com
Fri May 29 04:25:42 UTC 2009

> > > i had tried freebsd jack and expected it to work, but renoise does not
> > > detect it at all.
> >
> > Perhaps renoise is not looking at the dir where freebsd jack lives?
>
> do you mean the actual files, or the server stuff / where to 'send' the
> sound ouput once jackd is running (?

I was thinking that you meant that renoise did not detect freebsd jack
at compile time (looking for .h files, libs, ...), but perhaps you mean
at run time?  I've never used renoise or jack.

> > Ktrace(1) and kdump(1) might be useful to see where it is looking.
>
> thanks, i was looking for these two in general;

I sometimes find ktrace/kdump useful when putting a program into a chroot
and it can't find something.

> > > when i tried to run the linux version, jack fails when trying to load
> > > its "shared libraries",
> > > such as jack_oss.so.
> >
> > Again probably looking in the wrong place.  Good old static linking
> > eliminates a lot of grief.  Or figure out where jack_oss.so are
> > and cp or mv them to some dir it is looking in, add a symlink,
> > or change where it looks with LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
>

> i got linux jack through an rpm, found the file it was originally looking
> for (libjack.so.0) inside the rpm and copied it to /compat/linux folder.
> which renoise found thereon, but then failed to load the mentioned shared
> libs ..i.e jack_oss.so.
>
> so i went back to the rpm and found them in a folder tree /usr/lib/jack/;
> copied that to /compat/linux/usr/lib/jack and created a sym as /usr/lib/jack
> to that folder/
>
> i get from your reply that these linux '.so' files should still work on
> freebsd ?

I think so but I've never tried it myself.  If it were me I'd work on the
freebsd version of jack, as linux and I don't get along.  Your mileage may vary.