cant burn a cd iso

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Tue Jun 30 19:13:41 UTC 2009

"Rick C. Petty" <rick-freebsd2008 at kiwi-computer.com> wrote:

> > > followed "Old/Stable" link:
> > > ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/
> > > and it seems that version 2.01 from 2004 is still the greatest one (in the
> > > version-comparison sense).
> >
> > ....you should know that the latest version is 2.01.01a60
>
> The port available in sysutils/cdrtools-devel is 2.01.01a59, so what's the
> big deal?

It is not a big deal if this version is installed by default ;-)

> > What is the reason for following the "Old/Stable" link?
>
> Probably he was following the "stable" part.  This implies that the newer
> versions are not stable, which is why there's a cdrtools-devel port.

As I mentioned before: stable means dead -> no longer taken care of.

> > 2.01 is completely outdated and should be avoided because of many bugs (e.g. in
> > mkisofs).
>
> It's not always the case that newer versions are more stable and have fewer
> bugs.  In fact, cdrtools in particular has been that way in the past, where
> mkisofs(1) created ISOs which were buggy (in that they were not even
> mountable, or sometimes were mountable but some of the file pointers went
> past the end of the ISO).  In those times, I've had to drop back a version

During the past 5 years, I fixed dozens of bugs in mkisofs from the early days
of mkisofs. A bug that matches your description did never exist.

> or two to get a decent ISO.  Maybe this is no longer the case since 2.01.
> Maybe you should provide a short summary of the known issues in 2.01 that
> are fixed in 2.01.01a60 and some assurances that the latter produces broken
> images left often than the former.

As mentioned above, such a problem did never exist.

If you did observe such problems, you did not use mkisofs but something else.
Did you use the defective fork from Debian? Did someone else modified your
local version?

> Also it would probably help if you were more civil about it.  Andriy asked
> a reasonable question and made a reasonable assumption about the term
> "stable".

I was and I am still very friendly and explained the meaning of the word
"stable". What is your problem?

Jörg