cant burn a cd iso

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Tue Jun 30 13:11:52 UTC 2009

Andriy Gapon <avg at icyb.net.ua> wrote:

> > What is the reason for following the "Old/Stable" link?
> >
> > 2.01 is completely outdated and should be avoided because of many bugs (e.g. in
> > mkisofs).
>
> Sorry if sounded like a smart-ass, I didn't intend that.
> I had suspicions about "Old" part of the link, but I was looking for "Stable".

"stable" means dead and "will not change".

> Maybe we just see different things behind words like "alpha", "beta" and "stable".
> But FreeBSD ports typically track stable releases of third-party programs, only in
> exceptional cases we create "-devel" versions of the ports that track betas or
> other kind of WIP.

There is "pre-alpha" which may happen under special conditions, e.g. after a
bigger change was introduced. There is no real difference between alpha and
beta. "stable" as alias for "dead" was already mentioned.

Decent software development always tries to be 100% bug free.

In a decent software development, interface changes (if needed at all) are
announced many years before they are implemented. For this reason, people only
should get into problems if they ignore announced changed for more than 3-5
years.

> I realize that there is a new trend of "permanently beta" software (GOOG), but I
> think that it would be beneficial to the community of users of your software if
> you'd split Old and Stable categories and declared some recent version of cdrtools
> to be a Stable Release.

There seems to be a general trend towards longer so called "development cycles".
Sun did e.g. publish Solaris 10 in February 2005 and there is still no
Solaris 11.

The OpenSource development is a smoothly moving target and you cannot
synchronize different projects anyway.

If you follow the rule to always publish bug-free versions if possible, people
can live with this paradigm.