cant burn a cd iso

Marius Strobl marius at alchemy.franken.de
Mon Jun 29 18:44:52 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 11:42:04AM +0200, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> Hi marius at FreeBSD.org
> cc freebsd-multimedia at freebsd.org
> Current ports/sysutils/cdrtools/Makefile lists you as maintainer:
> 	PORTVERSION?=   2.01
> 	MAINTAINER=     marius at FreeBSD.org
> Forwarded below from author of cdrecord:
> --------
>
> > From:		Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling)
>
> Joerg Schilling wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > what is the reason for using a 5 year old cdrtools version?
> >
> > Are there no updates on FreeBSD?

The main reason for still defaulting to cdrtools 2.01 is
to provider a known-good mkisofs for release engineering,
especially since we've already been bitten by IIRC a
third-party archiver in the past. My experience was that
the 2.01.01 alpha series mkisofs didn't always seem
suitable for this purpose, actually even the cdrtools
release notes discouraged its use from time to time.
The other reason is that for over a year now the 2.01.01
alpha release notes indicate a non-alpha release being
imminent, i.e. it didn't look like we'd use 2.01 for
yet another year:
<...>
NEW features of cdrtools-2.01.01a41:

*******
NOTE: cdrtools is currently in a state just before a new major release.
<...>

Note that up to 2.01.01a27 the release notes also sounded
like 2.01.01 would only be a minor update to 2.01 released
"soon". Anyway, those requiring the latest alpha version
always can install the cdrtools-devel port instead.

Marius