snd_hda works on i386, fails on amd64 (RELENG_7)

Alexander Motin mav at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jun 5 08:30:24 UTC 2009

Rick C. Petty wrote:
> I was wondering if you received my message and if you had any further
> insights.  I recently csup'd again and am attaching the newest output.
> Although xmms2 is nice (I'm using a windows box as the server), it's
> really annoying not to have native sound working in amd64.  Remember,
> it works just fine if I boot up i386.
>
>> On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 06:45:54AM +0300, Alexander Motin wrote:
>>
>>> Could you boot with `hw.snd.verbose=4` to get maximum driver debugging.
>
> Including below, minus the lines related to the ATI card; I only care
> about the onboard audio (hdac0).  See below for dmesg with
> hw.snd.verbose=4.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance,
>
> usable memory = 8575410176 (8178 MB)
> avail memory  = 8273821696 (7890 MB)

Could you try to limit amount of system RAM to less then 3.5GB? Hardware
or driver may have issues with support of more then 32bit addresses. I
have successfully used driver on system with 4GB RAM, so I think that it
may be a hardware issue.

Also you may try to change
	sc->support_64bit = HDA_FLAG_MATCH(gcap, HDAC_GCAP_64OK);
line to
	sc->support_64bit = 0;
, to strictly limit driver to 32bit addresses ignoring hardware
capabilities.

--
Alexander Motin