FBSD Release 7.1 ; weird usb mouse NON-DETECTION; /dev/ums0 ?

Rick N solarux at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 18 10:21:25 PST 2009

Hardware:
(laptop)IBM Thinkpad T40 (which was pretty standard i386 to me)
Bios set to defaults:

-cannot detect mouse/or thinkpad mouse controls in either console or "X" on above hardware.
 In dmesg when I re-connect the usb mice it pops up as /dev/ums0, which to me means U..MassStorage device ?
Also, "sysinstall" doesn't grab it and I tried ALL the multiple options/configs. ?

Notes: (BTW: on PCBSD, Linux, Win, ... it's all fine - my usb-connected mouse worked FINE) ?!
 I've googled various attempts but they all seem to point to the same little problems ; it hangs and/or don't work.

 is this a little buggy thing with FreeBSD Release 7.1 ?

If anyone needs any other/specific details? let me know
thanx much again for any help.

Rick.