snd_hda, mplayer, and S/PDIF pass-through

Christian Weisgerber naddy at mips.inka.de
Mon Jan 12 12:49:20 PST 2009

FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT box with snd_hda audio.

Since I recently got an AV receiver that supports AC3 and DTS
decoding, I had to try S/PDIF pass-through.  I followed the suggestions
mav@ had previously provided here:
* disable vchans (sysctl dev.pcm.2.play.vchans=0)
* mixer vol 100 pcm 100

With this, "mplayer -ac hwac3" (or -ac hwdts) starts playing AC3
(DTS) audio tracks from DVD just fine, i.e., they are passed through
the S/PDIF interface to the receiver which decodes them and confirms
this with various status messages.

However, once the audio stream is interrupted, e.g. by pausing
playback, it cannot be restarted.  mplayer resumes... and the
receiver misdetects the audio as PCM 48 and produces the corresponding
noise.

Any ideas what's going there?

Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          naddy at mips.inka.de