Xorg and nVidia GeForce 8200 (MCP78S) - a better driver than vesa?

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jan 3 22:12:02 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-01-03 at 21:27 +0100, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Jan 2009 11:52:26 -0500
> Robert Noland <rnoland at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> > Nvidia has not released code or docs.  Only, Intel, AMD/ATI, and VIA
> > have done so.
>
> I was thinking about VDPAU[1], but perhaps this is not enough to
> improve the video bits of Xorg drivers?
> They have also released info / docs for CUDA[2], but that isn't relevant
> here, I guess.

VDPAU is just a userland API for offloading video decoding to the
hardware.  It doesn't describe how to actually communicate with the
hardware.  i.e. if you are using the Nvidia proprietary driver, it is an
api for tools like mplayer etc, to hand video frames to that driver.
Other standard and proprietary methods also exist, Intel's VAAPI, XvMC,
etc...

Unfortunately, none of this helps with driver development.

robert.