Intel 82801G (codec CXD9872RD/K) stereo only, quiet audio

Alexander Motin mav at FreeBSD.org
Thu Dec 10 00:44:22 UTC 2009

Daniel Penney wrote:
> Done a bit of searching and have yet to come across any information regarding
> this codec under FreeBSD.  I've tried setting a few device.hints to no avail
> and have come to the last resource I can find.  The codec is the Sigmatel
> CXD9872RD/K.

It's first time I see it, but it is usually not a problem.

> Attached is the output of the following commands:
> sysctl debug.bootverbose=1
> kldload snd_hda
> sysctl dev.hdac.0.pindump=1
>
> Dec  9 12:52:38  kernel: hdac0: 2 associations found:
> Dec  9 12:52:38  kernel: hdac0: Association 0 (1) out:
> Dec  9 12:52:38  kernel: hdac0:  Pin nid=15 seq=0
> Dec  9 12:52:38  kernel: hdac0:  Pin nid=12 seq=1
> Dec  9 12:52:38  kernel: hdac0:  Pin nid=11 seq=2
> Dec  9 12:52:38  kernel: hdac0:  Pin nid=10 seq=3
> Dec  9 12:52:38  kernel: hdac0:  Pin nid=17 seq=4
> Dec  9 12:52:38  kernel: hdac0: Association 1 (2) in:
> Dec  9 12:52:38  kernel: hdac0:  Pin nid=13 seq=0
> Dec  9 12:52:38  kernel: hdac0:  Pin nid=14 seq=1
> Dec  9 12:52:38  kernel: hdac0:  Pin nid=20 seq=2
> Dec  9 12:52:38  kernel: hdac0: Tracing association 0 (1)
> Dec  9 12:52:38  kernel: hdac0:  Pin 15 traced to DAC 5
> Dec  9 12:52:38  kernel: hdac0:  Pin 12 traced to DAC 3
> Dec  9 12:52:38  kernel: hdac0:  Pin 11 traced to DAC 4
> Dec  9 12:52:38  kernel: hdac0:  Pin 10 traced to DAC 2
> Dec  9 12:52:38  kernel: hdac0:  Pin 17 traced to DAC 16
> Dec  9 12:52:38  kernel: hdac0: Association 0 (1) trace succeeded
> Dec  9 12:52:38  kernel: hdac0: Tracing association 1 (2)
> Dec  9 12:52:38  kernel: hdac0:  Unable to trace pin 13 to ADC 6, undo traces
> Dec  9 12:52:38  kernel: hdac0:  Pin 13 traced to ADC 8
> Dec  9 12:52:38  kernel: hdac0:  Unable to trace pin 14 to ADC 8, undo traces
> Dec  9 12:52:38  kernel: hdac0:  Unable to trace pin 13 to ADC 18, undo traces
> Dec  9 12:52:38  kernel: hdac0: Association 1 (2) trace failed

There is codec misconfiguration in BIOS for association 1 (2). Pin with
nid 14 can't be routed to the same ADC as 13 and 20. This codec just
can't manage it. That pin should always to be configured separately or
disabled. If you fix this, record should probably be traced fine.

What other problems? What do you mean by quiet? How exactly?

--
Alexander Motin