gstreamer-plugins-libvisual

Robert McKenzie vk7rb at internode.on.net
Thu Dec 3 03:53:50 UTC 2009

Sir,

Regarding the above, I ran into a problem with gmerlin in that it would
not build and then did some searching, thinking and some experimentation.

What I have come up with is that the gstreamer-plugins-libvisual port
pulls in the old version of libvisual even if libvisual04 is installed
and the old version has been removed.

The problem is that when it pulls in libvisual rather than using
libvisual04, it then upsets gmerlin build because that uses the first
libvisual it comes across which is libvisual that doesn't have the
required declarations rather than libvisual04 which does.  Once I
realised what was happening I removed libvisual while leaving
libvisual04 and gmerlin then compiled.  After that, I rebuilt
gstreamer-plugins-libvisual and it pulled in libvisual even though
gmerlin had built using libvisual04 successfully.

I have no idea how to fix this apparently errant behaviour nor what
should be done to fix this problem so that it does occur again but it
would be good if something could be done to have
gstreamer-plugins-libvisual use libvisual04 properly without pulling in
libvisual which then causes problems with other builds.

It would be easy enough to edit the Makefile but as soon as I updated
the ports tree which is current, the problem would be reintroduced.

Hopefully you can do something to rectify the situation.

Regards,
Robert McKenzie.