Mencoder

newbie at poq.co.za newbie at poq.co.za
Wed Oct 29 07:48:19 UTC 2008

>> On Friday 24 October 2008 08:40:04 newbie at poq.co.za wrote:
>>> Hi There
>>>
>>> I have a Brooktree chipped card. It's got 4 video inputs.
>>> I'm trying to record video, no audio from all 4 channels
>>> of the card using mencoder. I use fxtv to display video
>>> on the seperate channels. I get video on all of them. This
>>> is the command I use
>>>
>>> fxtv -disableDirectV -inputFormat paln -deviceNumber 0
>>> fxtv -disableDirectV -inputFormat paln -deviceNumber 1
>>> fxtv -disableDirectV -inputFormat paln -deviceNumber 2
>>> fxtv -disableDirectV -inputFormat paln -deviceNumber 3
>>>
>>> So i got video on all of them, but when I record using
>>> mencoder I only get video on the first device. Device
>>> (1,2 and 3) got no video(blue screen). But from fxtv
>>> it works fine.
>>>
>>> mencoder -tv
>>> device=/dev/bktr0,/dev/tuner0:driver=bsdbt848:width=640:height=480:norm=pal
>>> tv:// -o tv.avi -ovc lavc -nosound
>>> mencoder -tv
>>> device=/dev/bktr1,/dev/tuner1:driver=bsdbt848:width=640:height=480:norm=pal
>>> tv:// -o tv.avi -ovc lavc -nosound
>>> mencoder -tv
>>> device=/dev/bktr2,/dev/tuner2:driver=bsdbt848:width=640:height=480:norm=pal
>>> tv:// -o tv.avi -ovc lavc -nosound
>>> mencoder -tv
>>> device=/dev/bktr3,/dev/tuner3:driver=bsdbt848:width=640:height=480:norm=pal
>>> tv:// -o tv.avi -ovc lavc -nosound
>>>
>>> I have read the man pages for mencoder, but still no joy.
>>> Its probally a syntax problem. Can anyone please help me.
>>
>> Have you tried playing around with the "input" parameter? I needed to
>> set
>> it
>> to 1 on my old bktr card (which had only one input though).
>>

> Yes I have, and I noticed some strange results. For Example the device
> parameter is completely ignored. I can change it to 99(/dev/bktr99), and
> will still run. And mplayer will always display (/dev/bktr0) video. It's
> must be ignoring the device input, I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong.
>
> mplayer -tv
> device=/dev/bktr1,tuner=/dev/tuner1:driver=bsdbt848:input=1:chanlist=europe-west
> tv://
> mplayer -tv device=/dev/bktr3:driver=bsdbt848:input=1:chanlist=europe-west
> tv://
>
> This is the latest port versions installed
> gmencoder-0.1.0_10
> mplayer-0.99.11_8
> mplayer-skins-1.1.2_6
>
> Thanks
> lou

HI There

I have found the problem. But I don't know how to fix it. Its inside the
patch 'patch-stream-tvi_bsdbt848.c' in mplayer's port folder. There is a
hardcoded variable "   +priv->btdev = strdup("/dev/bktr0");  ". If I
change it for example /dev/bktr7, That channel works fine.

Can anyone please help me to fix this. I want mplayer/mencoder to except my
input from console, not a hardcoded variable in the source.

Thanks
lou