Burning to IDE DVD Burner ...

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at iet.unipi.it
Sat Oct 18 08:49:12 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 11:33:12AM +0200, Philipp Ost wrote:
> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> >

> >Is this possible?  I just tried with tkdvd, and it spits out cam related
> >errors, so it doesn't *look* like I can do it with growisofs ... am I
> >missing something?
>
> It is possible. I've done it several times (single and double layer disks).
>
> For single layer DVDs I use
> growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/cd0=file.iso
>
> To burn a DL-DVD I have/had to set the write speed to 2 (else it
> wouldn't work at all, even if the burner itself is capable of 4x):
> growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/cd0=file.iso -speed=2
>
> dmesg reports the following:
> acd0: DVDR <HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4163B/A101> at ata1-master UDMA33

one thing to remember is that you need to kldload (or build into
the kernel) the atapicam module -- which is the one that makes
the cd/dvd appear as cd0 instead of 'acd0' (it's not just a name
difference,  the drivers support different ioctls and growisofs
uses the ones implemented by atapicam

cheers
luigi