Recording audio from Microphone

आशीष शुक्ल Ashish Shukla wahjava.ml at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 21:36:23 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I'm planning to use FreeBSD for my VoIP needs also, like Ekiga, Empathy, and
other free VoIP applications. But I'm not able to test recording of audio from
my microphone. I've tried gnome-sound-recorder (with no esd running) and audacity
applications. I've two sound cards (Intel HDA - snd_hda1, and Yamaha YMF740C -
snd_ds1). To isolate this problem, I've unloaded snd_hda1 while testing. My
microphone is connected to the YMF740C sound card. The microphone and sound card
are working fine, as I regularly use them in my Gentoo GNU/Linux OS (also
installed on the same box).

Following is the output of 'mixer' command:

----8<-----8<----
% mixer
Mixer vol      is currently set to  20:20
Mixer pcm      is currently set to 100:100
Mixer speaker  is currently set to 100:100
Mixer line     is currently set to  75:75
Mixer mic      is currently set to 100:100
Mixer cd       is currently set to  75:75
Mixer rec      is currently set to 100:100
Mixer igain    is currently set to 100:100
Mixer ogain    is currently set to 100:100
Mixer line1    is currently set to  75:75
Mixer phin     is currently set to   0:0
Mixer phout    is currently set to   0:0
Mixer video    is currently set to  75:75
Recording source: mic

With above mixer settings I can hear from my speakers whatever microphone
is receiving directly without running any application. But any application
trying to record from microphone is not getting any audio data. Any ideas
how to rectify this issue ?

TiA
Ashish
()  ascii ribbon campaign - against HTML e-mail