FreeBSD video recorder (was: FreeBSD as a HTPC!)

Kevin Downey redchin at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 00:09:04 PST 2008

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 3:10 PM, Dieter <freebsd at sopwith.solgatos.com> wrote:
>> I started on this track a while back, but the main problem I've had is
>> that FreeBSD doesn't support any digital tuners.  Here in Australia we
>> have digital TV with resolutions of up to 720p (1280x720
>> non-interlaced) or 1080i (1920x1080 interlaced).  720p is better.
>
> Well... 720p is better in some ways, 1080i is better in others.
> But for tuner support what matters is ATSC or DVB-T.
>
>> So what I do is to copy the saved MPEG files to the FreeBSD machine
>> and use mplayer, along with a series of scripts, to play it.  I'm
>> using a DVICO remote control (the one that came with the tuner), and
>> not coincidentally this is one of the few TV remote controls which
>> FreeBSD supports.
>
> There is a FreeBSD driver for the DViCO FusionHDTV5 if that's the tuner
> you have.  I don't know if it supports DVB-T though...
>
> And Jason has written a driver that supports several cx88 based cards.
> And there is the HDHomeRun that just needs Ethernet.
>
> So you can use FreeBSD for recording, if you have the right tuner.
> Support for additional tuners would of course be welcome.

does anyone know how the heck you build the driver for the divco
fusion? as far as I can tell it is a bunch of files in p4, which means
it is a huge pain to get them. I think I did manage to build the
kernel module but it made my amd64 machine kernel panic.

I sent an email to JohnMarkGurney with some questions, but I never got a reply.

so saying the card is supported maybe a stretch.

--
And what is good, Phaedrus,
And what is not good—