FreeBSD and Audio CD

Carlos A. M. dos Santos unixmania at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 15:47:53 PST 2008

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 1:25 PM, Ilya Nickolsky <aspdaspn at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I have FreeBSD 63 running on Thinkpad 600X (P3, 256 Mb RAM, sound CS4624). I
> could listen AudioCD only with cdcontrol play command entered in console or
> in xterm under X. When CD is playing the CD-ROM drive lit a led not
> constantly and sound is correct. but when I use any player for X like
> default in GNOME, or Mplayer/XINE/XMMS under freevo I hear sound
> interruptions and CD-ROM LED lit constantly. I hear sound interruption and
> sound is not "clear". Could you help me to correct this?

Ilya,

When you play a CD via cdcontrol the audio decoding is made by the CD
drive, which is connected to a corresponding input of the audio mixer
on the computer main board. When you use mplayer/xine/xmms, however,
the program must extract the digital data and make the conversion,
before sending it to the audio device. Your problem is probably that
your computer has not enough processing power to perform the
conversion. What does "top" show when you try to play the CD?

One possible alternative, if you want a GUI player, is using a program
like XMCD or xcdplayer.

--
cd /usr/ports/sysutils/life
make clean