Intel 82801I hda, STAC9271D codec: problem(s)

Alexander Motin mav at FreeBSD.org
Wed Nov 12 11:30:02 PST 2008

Andriy Gapon wrote:
>> With this hint (hint.hdac.0.cad2.nid10.config="misc=1") I now get
>> playback from both front and back. Also, I just tested that 'mic' record
>> source corresponds to back connector and 'monitor' to front connector,
>> both work ('line' is not tested).
>>
>> One minor complaint is that there are the following knobs for mixer:
>> $ mixer
>> Mixer vol      is currently set to  92:92
>> Mixer pcm      is currently set to  93:93
>> Mixer speaker  is currently set to  30:30
>> Mixer rec      is currently set to  45:45
>> Recording source: monitor
>>
>> Because there is no volume control for mic or monitor, program like kmix
>> display only "outputs" panel and there is no "inputs" panel. Because of
>> that I can not switch recording sources via gui.
>> But this is very minor.

There are no dedicated controls for that inputs, only for mixed signal.
That's why driver does not reports them.

> And, BTW, it seems that both nodes 21 and 24 in record path have volume
> controls. But I am not sure if it is worthwhile to expose them bot to mixer.

Driver tries to use as much amplifiers as possible, but it assigns
controls only to some predefined cases: pcm, vol, rec plus one for
control each input source. Assigning more controls without possibility
to document their purpose will just confuse users.

> Also, I am not sure why we have both vol and pcm knobs when there is
> only one node with volume ability in the play path. Is this because of
> softpcm quirk somewhere?

If as in this case, there is no dedicated amplifiers for pcm and vol,
driver uses same amplifier for both controls. Just to be as universal as
possible.

--
Alexander Motin