Intel 82801I hda, STAC9271D codec: problem(s)

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Wed Nov 5 06:27:42 PST 2008

on 05/11/2008 11:10 Alexander Motin said the following:
> Andriy Gapon wrote:
>> I have Intel DG33TL (BLKDG33TLM) mainboard based on G33 chipset, it
>> features Sigmatel STAC9271D HDA codec.
>> http://www.intel.com/Products/Desktop/Motherboards/DG33TL/DG33TL-overview.htm
>>
>> I use stable/7 (amd64) as of yesterday.
>> I tried both unpatched snd_hda and slightly tweaked "new snd_hda" via
>> hda.7.20080913.patch.
>
> I didn't have uploaded new patches since first commit to the -CURRENT. I
> have just uploaded latest (20081030) diffs against 7-STABLE and complete
> directory archive from 8-CURRENT. Try them please and report what you
> will get.
>
> According to logs you should get analog playback by pcm0 via rear
> connectors and front headphones with audio redirection on jack
> detection, plus digital playback via pcm1. pcm0 recording will work with
> rear mic and line-in connectors, pcm1 recording will use front mic
> connector. As always it is widely configurable, read -CURRENT man page
> for details.

Alexander,

thank you!
I tried the updated patch and there are some improvements.

Headphones playback: works only through pcm0 and only through rear
connector. Front jack playback doesn't work using either pcm device. It
used to work with stock stable_7 driver. Also it seems that volume of
playback is lower than it used to be.

Recording: I tested only rear jack and it seems that it works only
through pcm1(!). Nothing is recorded through pcm0 whatever recording
source I tried (btw, by default recording source for pcm0 was unset).

So for now I am using only rear jacks and I use pcm0 for playback and
pcm1 for recording. This is Good Enough(thanks!) but I am curious if
there is a room for improvement. I read through the update man page, but
I am probably too dense to figure which knobs I should try changing.
There is just too many possibilities.

BTW, here are the mixer command outputs:
$ mixer -f /dev/dsp0
Mixer vol      is currently set to  80:80
Mixer pcm      is currently set to  80:80
Mixer speaker  is currently set to  75:75
Mixer rec      is currently set to  80:80
Recording source: monitor

$ mixer -f /dev/dsp0 =rec
mixer: unknown device: =rec
 devices: vol, pcm, speaker, rec
 rec devices: line, monitor

$ mixer -f /dev/dsp1
Mixer vol      is currently set to  75:75
Mixer pcm      is currently set to  75:75
Mixer mic      is currently set to  80:80
Mixer rec      is currently set to  80:80
Recording source: mic

$ mixer -f /dev/dsp1 =rec
 devices: vol, pcm, mic, rec
 rec devices: mic