k3b again

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Fri May 9 17:05:57 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-09 at 16:44 +0100, Richard Bown wrote:
> Hi all
> I've been using k3b for several years, and the behaviour I'm seeing,
> I have not seen until starting to use FreeBSD.
> Therefore, it is the way its been ported.
> Everytime the k3b starts it complains:-
> No CD/DVD writer found.
> K3b did not find an optical writing device in your system. Thus, you
> will not be able to burn CDs or DVDs. However, you can still use other
> K3b features like audio track extraction or audio transcoding or
> ISO9660 image creation.
> at least now there is
>
> the button "startk3bSetup2"
> and you get in and there is:-
>
> Sony DVD RW DW-G120A dev/cd0 660 root richard-1
>
> and if I start to burn a CD...cant !!!!
> So I though now I've got it to automount , chuck in a music CD and run
> juice extractor, which started up and listed all the tracks
> hit play or extract#
>
> Error playing CD.
>
> Reason: Could not open CD device for reading.
>
> gb7tf# ls -la /dev/cd0
> crw-rw----  1 root  richard-1    0, 115 May  9 15:18 /dev/cd0
>
> I'm in group richard-1
> I got my new printer today, the old one had a firmware fault.
> So started cupsd, used the browser to open port 631..
> no printers !!!!!!!
>
> I'm sorry guys but someone needs to say it, that moving to FreeBSD is a
> masochistic ride into purgatory.
> I've used up a weeks holiday /vacation trying to get a working usable
> system, where as I could have setup everything in linux in a few hours,
> even if I'd chosen to use Slackware. I should have been playing radio
> I'll give to midnight (GMT), and if I'm not further forward with a
> working system , it will be time to draw a line underneath it and return
> to using linux.
> and to be honest PCBSD is a pain as it pays no attention to the
> partition table when installing, blatting itself over the largest
> partition and ignoring the rest. And I think most people use the
> largest partitions either as the home dir or as non system storage.
> Even the most nannified of linux distros give a choice on installation,
> whether to use the existing partitions or not
>
> I really appreciate all the help that's been given especially by Diane
> and Konstantin, without them I would not have stayed trying as long as
> I have.
>
> I'm sorry if my comments offend, they are not intended to.

Hi Richard. Can you provide the output of these commands please:

dmesg | grep cd
camcontrol devlist

Also, if you have a spare CD-R, can you install sysutils/cdrtools and
sysutils/dvd+rw-tools (pkg_add -r cdrtools dvd+rw-tools), and run this:

growisofs -Z /dev/cd0 -r -j -speed 12 /usr/include

This will try to copy the contents of /usr/include (~15MB) to your CD.
If there are any errors, please post the full output of the command.

I'm sorry you found BSD difficult to get to grips with. One of the main
differences I noted with FreeBSD compared to Linux is that everything is
documented (at least compared to Linux!), so there is less need for
handholding UI installations. I've only ever installed FreeBSD using
sysinstall, which only holds your hand enough to launch diskedit. From
diskedit, you can configure the disks pretty much just how you like.

Another difference is that the Linux distros like to go for these
auto-configuration apps that detect and install things for you (kudzu?).
FreeBSD will auto probe hardware it finds (unless you tell it not to),
but it won't install peripherals like printers automatically. I've
always found adding printers reasonably easy - track down the printers
PPD file, set it up in CUPS web admin.

Finally, I think you may find you get more help - certainly more
especially if you have more than one query.

Cheers

Tom