Specific problems with OSS and sound in general with HDA ALC268

eculp eculp at encontacto.net
Tue May 6 14:30:37 UTC 2008

My Aspire Laptop 5520-5679 has issues with both hda and OSS.

With hda I get no response from the builtin microphone or the
microphone jack and the mixer only shows playback controls.

With OSS and skype-devel I get "problem with audio playback" so I
haven't even checked the microphone yet.  Basically I only use it for
skype so it would seem that neither uses the mike and at least hda
does playback well. Youtube.com, as an example, that oss just locks up
firefox on playback.

The current configuration with OSS shows:

# kldstat
Id Refs Address            Size     Name
  1   10 0xffffffff80100000 9cf348   kernel (/boot/kernel/kernel)
  2    1 0xffffffff80ad0000 13a18    pwc.ko (/boot/modules/pwc.ko)
  3    3 0xffffffffac874000 7a56a    osscore.ko
(/usr/local/lib/oss/modules/osscore.ko)
  4    1 0xffffffffac8ef000 1ec4a    hdaudio.ko
(/usr/local/lib/oss/modules/hdaudio.ko)
  5    1 0xffffffffac91b000 7d0      vmix.ko
(/usr/local/lib/oss/modules/vmix.ko)

# ossrecord /root/test.wav gives me:
   /dev/dsp: Permission denied

osstest has errors that can be seen at:
   http://encontacto.net/SHARE/osstest.aspire.txt

ossinfo doesn't show the microphone, either.
   http://encontacto.net/SHARE/ossinfo.aspire.txt

If it can help the verbose dmesg can be seen at:
   http://encontacto.net/SHARE/ossinfo.aspire.txt

Help to get either working with my acer aspire would be appreciated.

I am running:
# uname -a
FreeBSD ed.local.net.mx 8.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT #98: Mon May
5 04:43:54 CDT 2008
root at ed.local.net.mx:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ENCONTACTO  amd64

Tnanks,

ed