TV Tuner Card

Danny Pansters danny at ricin.com
Wed Mar 19 17:16:20 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 19 March 2008 00:21:43 Ean Kingston wrote:
> I've got a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR. I don't remember which model (150,
> 250, 350). It's the one with the FM tuner. The Hauppauge WinTV-PVR
> line uses the Brooktree chipset and works fine.

Not brooktree, conexant and that's merely the mpeg encoding chip (the analog
a/v decoder to my knowledge is not supported at all but it doesn't really
need to be).

> Personally, I would go for either the 150 (price) or the 500 (if you
> can find one). The 500 is basically 2 150s on a single card so you
> can record one show and watch another at the same time.
>

> Does anyone know if the WinTV-HVR works with FreeBSD?

I don't think so, certainly not the usb sticks. There is quite a lot of good
info available online especially for the analog a/v decoder from TI, as well
as for Empia's USB integration. Tuners used on virtually all modern (read:
hybrid) cards and sticks are mostly xceive or microtune. Neither is very keen
on disclosing much information it seems.

Dan