Regarding latest Skype update in UPDATING

Beech Rintoul beech at alaskaparadise.com
Tue Mar 18 20:40:39 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 18 March 2008, Nikola Lečić said:
> On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 10:44:55 -0500
>
> "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7 at cox.net> wrote:
> > On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 10:29:29 -0500, Naram Qashat
> >
> > <cyberbotx at cyberbotx.com> wrote:
> > > I just updated my ports tree and noticed there was a message in
> > > UPDATING about Skype requiring linux-fc6 and the Linux
> > > emulation layer being set to 2.6.16. How does this affect
> > > people still using FreeBSD 6.x?  Don't we not have 2.6.16 as an
> > > option, but only 2.4.2?  I'm personally updating to FreeBSD 7.0
> > > next week, but I feel it's good to ask for those people out
> > > there still using 6.x.
> >
> > You will get a better result if you CC'ing or straight email to
> > the maintainer. I personal think that skype port should be mark
> > as BROKEN for FreeBSD 6.x and below. Also, maybe create skype12
> > for FreeBSD 6.x users.
>
> I happily use Skype-1.4 on plain FreeBSD-6.2 for months and it
> works flawlessly. I don't have OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT or anything
> of that sort at all.
>
> I did just two small adjustments: Skype-1.4 must be run with setuid
> root (other people reported similar thing) and with
> --resources=/usr/local/share/skype.
>
> IMHO no need to mark it BROKEN.

People's mileage seems to vary on this, I didn't have any problems
with this version on 6.x either. But, in order to keep people happy,
I have added a legacy net/skype12 for 5.x and 6.x, plus some
additional instructions in UPDATING. Since Skype really wants us to
quit using this, it isn't available for 7.x and above. I have added
the resources flag to net/skype, in both the .desktop file and in
pkg-message and that should be used regardless on FreeBSD.

On another note the amd64 restriction will be removed from linux_dri
so those users can use skype, but I think I'll wait a couple more
days at least before I muddy the water further.

Beech

Beech Rintoul - Sys. Administrator - beech at alaskaparadise.com
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Alaska Paradise Travel
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 201 East 9Th Avenue Ste.310
/ \  - Please visit Alaska Paradise - http://www.alaskaparadise.com