kbtv2 sound saa.c -- And BETA3 available

Danny Pansters danny at ricin.com
Tue Mar 4 02:26:09 UTC 2008

Hi again,

On Friday 29 February 2008 06:28:48 you wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 01:44:43AM +0100, Danny Pansters wrote:

> > > Doesn't help. I'll try to look at the code.
> > >
> > > There's another problem - I get panics with saa driver:
> > >
> > > panic: Trying sleep, but thread marked as sleeping prohibited
> > > cpuid = 0
> > > KDB: stack backtrace:
> > > db_trace_self_wrapper() at db_trace_self_wrapper+0x2a
> > > panic() at panic+0x17d
> > > sleepq_add() at sleepq_add+0x2e1
> > > _sx_slock_hard() at _sx_slock_hard+0x15d
> > > _sx_slock() at _sx_slock+0xc1
> > > pfind() at pfind+0x24
> > > saa_intr() at saa_intr+0x313
> > > ithread_loop() at ithread_loop+0xda
> > > fork_exit() at fork_exit+0x12a
> > > fork_trampoline() at fork_trampoline+0xe
> > > --- trap 0, rip = 0, rsp = 0xffffffffac3c0d30, rbp = 0 ---
> >
> > Looks like 32->64 issue
>
> Don't think so, please check Attilio's reply -
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2008-February/023663.htm
>
> I've attached a patch removing pfind() calls from saa_intr, allowing me at
> least try to resolve sound issues (I don't think that it is correct,
> more than so, quite contrary, I'm pretty sure it is incorrect, but will
> do for the time being).

I'll believe it when I see it. I had no panics on amd64/fbsd7 so far. It
worked shockingly well compared to the other backends with all HW
acceleration turned off (GForce card + nv)

So what *is* the difference between 0 and NULL if an int (or appropriately
intptr) is expected?

I don't want to be pedantic but I would like see a report of any such panic
with the kbtv2-kmod-saa port first before I start changing all sorts of
things. Or get it myself.

BTW, I'm now very amendable to just pushing in your suggested B,C,E databytes
for D/K if that's going to do the trick with both video and sound. If they
don't break B/G, the only other standard known to work, I'm fine with it and
will put it in beta4/rc1.

Sorry to have been incommunicado for a few days. I managed to get all the
backend to run on amd64/fbsd7 (another box from where I keep my email
obviously). Fixed a few things, nothing particularly difficult (I was under
the impression that major work would need to be done to use generic iic
device but that wasn't the case at all). Lots of patch/tarball rerolling.

I uploaded beta3 and checked that it still works on i386.

Next I'd like to at least get the D/K problems kinked out, and do some work on
the other backends. Probably RC1 will be next.

While I'm interested in adding microtune support to saa, this is not trivial
and I'm going to defer it until after 2.0.