Degraded X performance in 7.0

FreeBSD freebsd at optiksecurite.com
Fri Jul 18 18:29:52 UTC 2008

george+freebsd at m5p.com a écrit :
> Between FreeBSD 6.2 and FreeBSD 7.0, something has happened with
> performance.  Using a generic 6.2 kernel and the X server which
> shipped with it, and mplayer built with the defaults from ports,
> I would play a movie from an NFS-mounted disk, with mplayer using
> roughly 30% of the CPU time and xorg less than 5%.  On the very same
> hardware upgraded to a generic 7.0 kernel and the X server which
> shipped with it, and mplayer built with the defaults from ports,
> playing the same movie from the same NFS-mounted disk, mplayer
> still takes roughly 30% of the CPU, but xorg is taking 35-40% of
> the CPU!  The quality of the playback is noticeably rough.  What
> should I be looking for?  The diff between an old Xorg.0.log and
> a new one is pretty massive.  I have an ATI Technologies Inc Rage
> XL AGP 2X rev 39, Mem @ 0xce000000/24, 0xcfeff000/12, I/O @ 0x8800/8,
> BIOS @ 0xcfec0000/17 according to the log.
>
> Thanks for any assistance you can give me!    -- George Mitchell

I noticed the same behaviour but with the movie on the local hard drive
on FreeBSD 7.0 GENERIC kernel with X.org, Fluxbox and mplayer from
ports. I didn't tested with 6.2.

The PC is a Dell Optiplex 755 with an Intel Celeron 2.8GHz and 1Go RAM

I would be interested in some clue too,

Thank you,

Martin