HDA mic & rec volumes

John Wright jwright11 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 18:03:59 UTC 2008

Hello,

I've posted before and received help to get my sound up and running on my
Vostro 1500 and I'm very thankful.  The only problem that I still have is
that my mic sound level is very low.  Whether I use the internal mic or a
mic plugged into the jack, i can't get good loud sounds.  When I talk on
Skype the other people can barely hear me, it's not even loud enough to hold
a conversation without literally yelling into the mic.  Krec also records my
voice but again at a very low level.  Any help with getting the full
potential out of my mic will be greatly appreciated.

jello# uname -a
FreeBSD jello.hwresnet.org 7.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #0: Sun Feb 24
19:59:52 UTC 2008     root at logan.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
i386

jello# dmesg | grep pcm
pcm0: <Intel 82801H High Definition Audio Controller> mem
0xfebfc000-0xfebfffff irq 21 at device 27.0 on pci0
pcm0: [ITHREAD]
pcm0: <HDA Codec: Sigmatel STAC9205>
pcm0: <HDA Driver Revision: 20080316_0051>

jello# mixer
Mixer vol      is currently set to  15:15
Mixer pcm      is currently set to  55:55
Mixer speaker  is currently set to 100:100
Mixer line     is currently set to 100:100
Mixer mic      is currently set to 100:100
Mixer rec      is currently set to 100:100
Recording source: mic

--
John N. Wright
jwright11 at gmail.com