ports/devel/pwlib and multiple sound devices

Fri Jul 11 06:06:54 UTC 2008

Quoting Rong-En Fan <rafan at freebsd.org> (from Sun, 6 Jul 2008 19:01:37 +0800):

> [please CC me, I don't subscribe multimedia@]
>
> Hi multimedia@,
>
> Sometime ago, I committed a patch in PR 122584 in order to make
> Ekiga happy with other KDE applications. However, a user informed
> me that the patch makes Ekiga to use only dsp0.
>
> According to sound(4), one should not directly use specific
> sound device (i.e., dspX nor dsp). Since I'm not familiar with
> the sound(4) framework. Can someone who is familiar with sound(4)
> shed us some lights?

You should use '/dev/dsp' (or better, the user should be able to chose
which, but as long as you are not willing to implement such a feature
in the GUI, take /dev/dsp, as this will allow to let the admin of the
system set a default of which pcm device to use by default, in case of
more than one device).

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Do you mean that you not only want a wrong
answer, but a certain wrong answer?