Questions about snd_emu10kx

Mark Kane mark at mkproductions.org
Thu Jan 24 16:08:18 PST 2008

On Thu, Jan 24, 2008, at 10:58:05 +0300, Yuriy Tsibizov wrote:
> Mark,
>
> for headphones output -- as I remember it was disabled for some
> reasons (like this
> DSP output pin was used for different output on some cards).
> I can make a patch for you to test, what happens if I enable it back.

Hi Yuriy, thanks for your reply.

Sure, I'm always glad to test any patches.

> For some time there were separate contols for amount of signal coming
> into recording and
> into playback (see
> http://chibis.persons.gfk.ru/audigy/default_en.htm#routing), but with
> move
> to mixer(8) InRecVolumeN = InVolumeN. It is possible to set
> InRecVolumeN to 100% and get
> behaviour similar to snd_emu10k1 one.
>
> Also, there are different line inputs on Audigy. Some of them are
> connected to AC97 chip
> and sent to DSP 'AC97 in' input. There is only one input on DSP, and
> AC97 chip
> is always in 'recording' mode (even if you want to listen to sound
> from you line input
> on speakers).
>
> I think I should add some logic to not pass output from of AC97 codec
> to playback (speakers)
> if all volume controls for it are set to 0, but this will not solve
> all the problem.

Thanks for the explanation. I think this sounds like a good idea.

> If you are going to listen to audio CD (that's connected to AC97) in
> the same time you want to
> record from 'line in' (connected to the same chip) you will get both
> sources mixed togeter on
> both speakers and recording.
>
> As I know, snd_emu10k1 use different way for playback -- it uses AC97
> codec for playback and
> there are no problems with unexpected sound mix.

Yeah, I was definitely used to the emu10k1 way and was a little
confused at first when using emu10kx.

> I'm working on other amd64 problem (broken digital sound output on
> Live! card on amd64).
> Can you try to build your kernel without optimizations --
> make buildkernel __MAKE_CONF=/dev/null COPTFLAGS=-O0
>  -- and try again?
>
> also, you can try to patch your /usr/share/mk with
> http://chibis.persons.gfk.ru/7/sharemk.patch
> and rebuild kernel & modules if kernel built  for -O0 still does not
> work for you.
> This patch will allow use of COPTFLAGS for module build (they will be
> built with -O2 in first case).

I did a reboot today and the 48kHz problem solved itself. I can now
play 48kHz audio in all the applications I mentioned before. I will see
if I can somehow trigger the problem again and report back.

> Also, do you load driver in loader.conf or with kldload?

I actually build it in my kernel and do not use the module.

Thanks again,

-Mark

--
Internet Radio:
Party107 (Trance/Electronic) - http://www.party107.com

IRC:
MIXXnet IRC Network - irc.mixxnet.net (Nick: MIXX941)